Wednesday 23 September 2015

Milan Fashion Week: Gucci and Alberta Ferreti

Gucci
You know, I was a huge fan of Frida Giannini when she was creative director at Gucci. I would look forward with excitement to the first day of Milan Fashion Week, just because I knew that Gucci would be kicking off proceedings. All of those fancy cocktail dresses, va va voom leather boots, huge jet-set sunglasses and big mongolian fur coats. That Gucci is the Gucci of the past, and with the new direction of designer Alessandro Michele the brand has taken a turn for in my opinion, the worse. Michele likes to merge together feminine and musculine pieces, and this season he did just that in garish colours, swirly 70's prints and bold colour blocking sets.

My mother always told me that, 'pink and green should never be seen,' which is perhaps a phrase Alessandro Michele needs to study in more depth after this shambles of a collection. Do I think the everyday Gucci customer would be happy wearing any of these pieces? No. This Gucci is for a more younger woman, who likes her ruffles and frills but has no sense of real Italian fashion. So, I have included some of my best looks from the Spring/Summer 2016 Gucci show, but really this is one of  the worst womenswear collections I have ever seen at Milan Fashion Week. And it pains me to say that because I loved Gucci under Tom Ford and Frida. But Alessandro, that remains to be seen...




Alberta Ferreti
I absolutely loved this collection! Alberta always creates such beautiful, intricate dresses with so much character and flare to them. I loved all the soft, warm colours such as tan, yellow and burnt orange as well as the loose shirts and chiffon dresses. The lovely maxi dresses in chocolate brown and black were reminiscent of old Italian costumes while the beautiful butterfly dresses at the end of the show were mesmerising as were the knee high gladiator sandals in the same kind of winged pattern. If anything, this collection had the beauty of a Valentino couture show, with the angelic hair and make-up as well as the sweeping silhouettes of the models who glided majestically down the catwalk. The peasant shirts were another highlight for me as was the khaki trench coat, tied neatly at the waist. A truly wonderful show which reflects the history and style of Milan.

No comments:

Post a Comment