Wednesday 10 August 2016

Vogue Brasil: State of Grace

For those of you who read this blog, you will know that I am a huge Anna dello Russo fan, the eccentric editor of Vogue Japan. While I was researching for my university dissertation I came across this beautiful photo-shoot from Vogue Brasil, Feburary 2013 issue (my dissertation topic is on religious iconography in fashion, if you were wondering the rather random link between the two.) Photographed by Giampaulo Sgura and featuring Brazilian model Izabel Goulart, this shoot captures the rich interiors of the Sao Francisco Catholic church in Salvador and some beautiful clothes by designers such as Givenchy, Saint Laurent, Emilio Pucci, Valentino, Gucci, Prada and Dolce & Gabbana. I was drawn to the shoot purely because of the immaculate styling by dello Russo. I love the use of colour and monochrome throughout the shoot, especially the later pictures of Goulart walking through the street in stunning black gown billowing out around her. 

Anna dello Russo is a maximalist through and through, loves eccentricity and fuses religion and fashion together in this shoot so wonderfully, ignoring the fact that using religious iconography in fashion will continue to be a controversial issue. The make-up, embellished headpieces, proud stances of Goulart and overall ambiance of the photo-shoot make this a truly spectacular editorial, and a good reference for my dissertation! Take a look through the stunning photos and pick out your favourite images...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment