Saturday 31 December 2016

What will you remember about 2016?

It's the 31st December, the last day of 2016. This year has been eventful to say the least. From the Oscars at the beginning of the year which saw Leonardo DiCaprio win his first Academy Award, to Beyonce's iconic Lemonade album, The Met Gala - Zayn and Gigi's matching outfits, Donald Trump being elected President and who could forget Kim Kardashian's robbery fiasco in Paris? Plenty has happened in 2016.

A lot of much loved celebrities have left us, including Carrie Fisher, George Michael, Prince and David Bowie while David Cameron dramatically left No 10 after Britain decided to leave the EU. Taylor Swift continued embarking on doomed relationships, the Olympics took place in the Summer which inspired all of us to start keeping a little more fit, Leicester won the Premier League and Maria Grazia Chirui took the reigns at Dior. In terms of fashion a lot has changed as per usual. Hedi Slimane left YSL, Franca Sozzani passed away as did designer Richard Nicoll, The First Monday in May DVD was released which followed Anna Wintour in the lead up to the Met Gala and of course, Kendall scored her first Vogue cover - whoopy do. It was also British Vogue's centenary year, as the fashion magazine held an exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery in honour of all the amazing photos which have featured in the magazine over the past 100 years. The Cannes Film Festival was as glamorous as ever while the Harry Potter franchise continued with the help of Eddie Redmayne in 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them'. And who can forget the big shocker of them all - Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie announcing their plans for divorce in September. We knew America was over then.

Trump will take the Presidency in 2017.
This year has also has its sad moments. From the terrible terrorist attacks in Paris and Berlin to the ongoing crisis in Syria, especially the city of Aleppo. The suffering around the world of innocent people continues, but hopefully 2017 will bring with it a new hope for the future.

I have really enjoyed 2016 and did things which I never thought achievable. I quit my job at the beginning of the year and embarked on a new one at a lovely, luxury department store. I went to Paris, the first time I had ever been to the city of light, holidayed in the Dominican Republic and finished my second year at university and started my third and final year this September. I interned at Harper's Bazaar, Selfridges and fulfilled the dream I had since I was 14 years old, to intern at British Vogue. Going to Vogue is probably my highlight of the year. Seeing Beyonce at Wembley Stadium as part of her formation World Tour was pretty good too. But I have made new friends, took up new responsibilities and tried new things which is the most important thing in life - to forever be curious and try things you've never done before.

I don't really believe in New Years resolutions as I tend to make them every month but I hope if you do make them you go on to achieve them in 2017. A new year is the chance to start afresh and I'm sure 2017 will be the opportunity for many of us to achieve greatness. For those of you who regularly read my blog I say thank you. Thank you for reading all my little stories this year and I hope you continue to do so in 2017. And now I guess there's nothing more for me to say than Happy New Year!
Some of the movies we've seen this year.
We sadly lost a whole list of much loved celebs including these 4 faces.
Zayn and Gigi at the Met Gala 2016.
Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie got a divorce - a top story of 2016.
Beyonce on stage as part of her Formation World Tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment