Tuesday 17 January 2017

Saint Laurent's New Attitude

I am currently going through a Saint Laurent phase. I wasn't a huge fan of the Parisian fashion label during Hedi Slimane's tenure, but I am a fan of Anthony Vaccarello. His first show for the brand was sexy, powerful, very 80s influenced and was the perfect day to night wardrobe for a French fashion editor living that exciting jet set lifestyle. When shopping in Zara  recently, I literally couldn't contain my excitement when I happened across a faux leather black mini dress, one arm draped in material the other bare. It was a YSL knock off and for only £10 was a complete bargain. I am absolutely sure that when I premiere it in Paris this weekend with the right accessories it could pass as Saint Laurent.

Anthony Vaccerello is a cool guy, first with the designs for his eponymous label and then for Versus Versace. His love of black, glamour and a certain rock and roll look has become part of the designer's DNA and I have no doubt YSL will continue to reign supreme over the fashion industry. "My idea of YSL lies in the attitude," the designer revealed to Vogue last year and judging by the latest Saint Laurent campaign, Vaccarello has most definitely brought the attitude. Featuring a host of models of the moment including Mica Arganaraz, Freja Beha Erichsen, Selena Forrest and Hiandra Martinez, the campaign is shot completely in monochrome and is extremely provocative. Photographer Collier Schorr shows off Vaccarello's daring designs for spring with a polka dot mini dress a particular favourite of mine.

But it was Vaccarello's first campaign for YSL which really caught my attention. Shot by Inez and Vinoodh, the campaign was a taster of what Vaccarello would bring to YSL and featured one of the coolest models ever, Anja Rubik. I loved the moodiness of the black and white photos as well as the clothes of course which reminded me of the famous 'Le Smoking' suit. Yves Saint Laurent has so much rich history with all the incredible couture shows and iconic looks and this new designer looks likely to embody that spirit into his collections for the brand. Take a look at the old and new campaign below and trust me, you too will be converted into a YSL fan just like me.

SPRING/SUMMER 2017 CAMPAIGN SHOT BY COLLIER SCHORR
 
The Spring/Summer 2017 collection.

 CAMPAIGN SHOT BY INEZ AND VINOODH FEATURING ANJA RUBIK

No comments:

Post a Comment