Sunday 3 November 2013

Unique and Original: Artwork by Meaghan Coles

For my new art project I happened upon an artist, Meaghan Coles. Through looking at iconic images from the 1950's and fashion magazines of today, I wanted to explore how media portrays women in advertising and fashion. Coles is an excellent Australian artist who takes images from magazine covers and then shreds away all the airbrushing, make-up and effects found in modern media. She paints these models with all their blemishes and insecurities plain to the naked eye, portraying women as normal, unique and beautiful.

Blow dried blonde hair, tanned skin, size 8 body, dark oval eyes, perfect skin... this is how many women look on billboards, adverts and fashion magazine covers. This is how the media portray women, constantly putting ideas into our heads of how us mere 'mortals' should look. Unnatural and flawless. Coles goes against this ideology and uses newspapers, mixed media and wood to create imaginative pieces of art, focusing on the true meaning of beauty.

I've come a long way with this current art project. From looking at the Hollywood greats (John Wayne and Elizabeth Taylor) to fashion photography circa 1970. Exploring the 'male gaze' and now looking at what truly makes a picture iconic, this has been a project full of twists and turns... and it's not even finished yet! Meaghan Coles has certainly influenced me and I will continue to explore her concept further, wherever that will take me. Remember to keep checking back to theFASHIONbox for all the latest on my art work and for fashion news, trends and celebrity gossip!

Below are some of Coles' amazing art work and my own designs inspired by her art:





No comments:

Post a Comment