Tuesday 25 March 2014

Vietnam War Art Project...

Biro study from my own photograph 
Conflict. It's happening now, it has happened before and no doubt it will be firmly established in our futures somewhere in the world. This was the question I chose to explore for my final Fine Art project, focusing on the most infamous conflict of the 20th century: The Vietnam War. Thousands of innocent civilians killed, American GI's scarred for life through horrific experiences fighting the Vietcong and a country divided by communism and the so called 'corrupt' government in Vietnam. This was not only a war, but a catastrophic event which America has never really recovered from. For me, I wanted to capture the emotion and shock of war not only for soldiers but for civilians too, exploring the impact this conflict had on everyone involved through looking at photography, artists and the historical details of the stages of the war, not to mention the anti-war movement which erupted in the US during the late 60's and 70's.

This art project is very important to me and I'm loving looking closely at the war and artists' impressions of peoples emotions which shocked the world. From the Napalm scarred little girl running through the streets, which became an iconic yet haunting image of the war to the movies like 'Platoon' and 'Apocalypse Now,' glorifying yet horrifically showing the war through the eyes of the Western world, many young soldiers were forced to their deaths in fighting for their country. Soldiers and civilians who will not be forgotten. I have no idea how this project will end or what my final piece will be. For now I'm just enjoying the journey and drawing wonderful pictures which I am proud and happy with. From staging my own photo-shoot in a Camden Army Surplus store to looking at artists like photo-journalist Forst Haas and Roland Castani, this is a whole new learning curb for me which is thrilling yet desperately sad. Please take a look at some of the pages in my sketchbook and come inside the Vietnam War with me...

Pencil drawing from a Forst Haas photo
Roland Castanie: Blue biro study

Detailed pencil study, my own photography 


No comments:

Post a Comment