Thursday 13 November 2014

Remembering our World War 1 Girls


As you probably know, this week marks 100 years since the start of the First World War. From the beautiful poppies surrounding the Tower of London to the meaningful ceremonies at various historic landmarks, it is very hard not to understand the depth and sincerity this country owes to those who died during the war.

For most of us, we will hopefully never know what it feels like to live through a war. We will never understand fully what it's like to live on rations, to see our loved ones leave home and never return or feel the terrible consequences of fighting. That is why it's so important to wear a poppy in honour of those who fought for their country and died defending our nation. War is a truly terrible thing.

We always think of the brave men who fought during the Great War, but rarely do we cast our minds back to the women left behind. The women whose job it was to basically run the farms, factories and businesses normally occupied by men. Even though this was a time of upheaval and public outcry from the suffragettes and 'votes for women' campaigns, girls up and down the country stopped their call for political rights and instead dived straight into hard work during the war. Even they were not prepared to see their country suffer and did whatever they could to keep it afloat. That kind of loyalty and pride is very rarely seen these days, mainly because (thank goodness) we are not living through a war. So this week I want to pay a special homage to these women whose lives were also turned upside down by the start of World War One in 1914. It was brutally tough, but they along with England survived it and that makes me very proud, as well as eternally grateful.

I've found these beautiful and heart warming images of women and girls during this difficult time. The photography is honest and true while the facial expressions speak completely for themselves. Let us all remember those who will never be forgotten.



 
I also wanted to share this sorrowful and strong poem by Wilfred Gibson, one of the great war poets.
 
'Back'
 
They ask me where I've been,
And what I've done and seen.
But what can I reply
Who know it wasn't I,
But someone just like me,
Who went across the sea
And with my head and hands
Killed men in foreign lands...
Though I must bear the blame,
Because he bore my name.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment