Friday 31 March 2017

A Moan a Day Keeps Stress Away

Why is life so complicated? Nothing is ever easy. When I was younger my biggest problems were making sure I had the latest Nintendo DS, the one that all my friends had, or not being able to go to my friends party because I was on holiday. Can you imagine the drama? Now, just over a decade later I am weeks away from finishing my BA Hons Fashion Journalism degree and finding a job once I graduate while juggling my current part time job in London. On top of that, I have very unwisely booked 3 holidays within 2 months of each other not figuring that I need this valuable time to organise my life, literally. So yes life is stressful but I am indeed guilty of adding to that stress myself. I keep telling myself things could be worse (and yes they could be really, truly awful) but I suppose I am just having a moan. Brits apparently moan on average 7 times a day, so here goes.

Let me tell you about my third year at university. First of all it has flown by, and I mean really sped along terrifyingly fast. After the dissertation (hell on earth), needless presentations, planning upon planning upon planning for my FMP - final major project - I haven't really had a chance to enjoy my third and final year in education. I'm not planning on doing a masters after this, you've got to be joking. Our FMP, the big final project which has loomed hauntingly on the horizon for two years is upon me. We, my fellow classmates and I, must create a magazine, each. What a lot of fun you must be thinking. How creative, clever and... EASY. You have no idea how stressful, time consuming, frustrating and just difficult this project is. From start to finish it has been a headache because when you create a print magazine on your own, with no support and no team, there is a lot of work to do. You must create the content, written and imagery, organise the photo-shoots, commission illustrators and contributors, choose advertising, pay for images, organise the printing costs, design the layout... the list is endless. As I write this I am waiting for InDesign to finish downloading on my laptop. 

There is a lot to do basically. And it's an expensive process. As well as spending £9000 a year on uni fees you also have to fund the magazine yourself. A friend of mine spent £200 on one shoot. Yes, one photo shoot. I'm not planning on selling my magazine to other retailers and have no intention of making an issue 2 of the publication (I'd rather slit my wrists) so this magazine will serve as a nice portfolio to take to future job interviews. And of course it's something to show my grandchildren when I'm 80 and past it all, struggling to remember why I was so stressed making it. 

We all have stress in our lives. Things are tough, and in London more so. But when this magazine project is over in just over a month, I will shake off that stress, live life and smile at my graduation knowing that all my hard work paid off. 

PS. When inDesign finished loading on my Mac, I picked up my laptop while holding a cup of coffee in the other hand. Because of my awkward grip I held it in while trying not to spill my drink, I accidentally pulled the screen back and now it won't work :) Peace out.

Waiting to go on holiday like...

No comments:

Post a Comment